26 July 2008

My Ants' Estors

Ya know, mama spends so much time with her genealogy blog The Oracle of OMcHodoy and her Ancestral Lore blog Orations of OMcHodoy that I finally got curious. She told me that she uses her blogs to find her ants estors, whatever that means. She says it means she’s trying to find out the people from whom she de-sends. I usually don’t much care what others do, so much as it doesn’t affect me. But I just had to give this jeanie alogee thing a try. So here’s my first attempt at tracing my pack.

Mama was told that I am a Pomeranian and Cocker Spaniel mix. Let’s take a look at that.

First let’s take a look at the Pomeranian, since mama says it’s easy to see the Pom in me, with my curly tail and incredibly springy feet. My eyes, too, but definitely not the ears.

Picture on the left courtesy of: http://www.kennels.co.uk/images/T.Pomeranian.jpg
According to Dog Breed Info (www.dogbreedinfo.com), this part of me originated in the Prussian region of Pomerania (gee, what a concept…Pomeranians hailed from Pomerania). There was a dog breed there known as the Spitz, and apparently the Pomeranian de-sended from that that breed. Now just how they make one "pure-bred" dog from another I will never understand, but I digress.

Did you know that Marie Antoinette and Mozart once owned Poms? So did Queen Victoria!

Dog Breed Info also says that Pomeranians are smart and would make good circus animals. Hmmph. You never hear humans say “oh he’s a smart guy, he’d be great as a circus performer”.

Now, on to the Cocker Spaniel. Mama says it’s hard for her to see the Cocker in me; sometimes she’s not so sure. But a few times as we were leaving Petsmart (mama loves that store; I hate it, though I do like trying to creep under the racks of dog food for kibble) she’s heard people comment without talking to mama “Look a Cocker Spaniel mix”. Hmmm. Let’s investigate.

This is what an American Cocker Spaniel looks like with me next to her:

Now, in most pictures mama has seen of American Cockers, mama doesn’t see any real resemblance. But she kind of does in this picture, taken from http://www.greatdogsite.com/admin/uploaded_files/
thumbnails/american_cocker_spaniel368x_1190665991490.jpg here. Mama can see a little similarity in the fur on the legs. Do you?

Here’s a little bit about the American Cocker Spaniel. Dog Breed Info says these dogs de-send from the English Cocker Spaniel, which I’ll talk about next. Both Cockers were once used to flush out woodcock birds, which is how they got their names. Mama says that may be why I can creep along on my tummy with my legs off to the side as I move towards kibble under the food racks at Petsmart. One of these days she’ll get a picture of me doing that. She says it’s funny.

Now here is a picture of the English Cocker Spaniel and me:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/

Now mama can see some similarities when she looks at a picture of the English Cocker. She says the fur on my back grows in a similar pattern. While my head is thinner, the flatness along the nose line and forehead is somewhat similar. Also the lines along the rear upper leg and the hips are similar to the English Cocker, though you can't see it in this picture of me.

The descriptions of both Cockers identify this breed as fun, loving, and great with kids. Well, I’m okay with kids now, but I used to be terrified of them. But I don’t play with them, or anyone else, really. I sometimes play fetch with mama, but not for long and only when *I* want to. Mama says that’s because the Pomeranian in me shows the stubborn streak, and, moreover, she says I wasn’t socialized well when I was a puppy. I was reportedly kept in a crate most of the time and never learned to play or not be afraid of others until I was taken out of that place.

Well, that’s my surmised story, and I’m sticking to it. I know I’ll probably never know who my true ants-estors are, but perhaps I’ve reconciled my packs. What do you think? Do you see Pomeranian and Cocker Spaniel in me? Mama says she could make The Genetic Genealogist proud by mentioning that there are Doggie DNA tests that can determine the breeds of mixed dogs, but mama says it really makes no difference. She loves me just the way I am.

4 Comments:

At 5:16 AM, Blogger Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski said...

Hi Izzie,

Great woof ... errr... I mean post. There are four English cockers in this den (five when Riley comes for doggie day care)and we are going to take a vote to get our own blog. Five votes to Mom's one.

Nice job!

MomCindy typing for the cockers

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger i said...

Interesting...Of course your mommy loves you no matter what breed you are! You are a darling!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi Izzie,
Regardless of your breed, I am sure your mom will love you just the way you are! My papers say I am a Maltese X Shih Tzu, but my mom thinks I look like a lhasa apso.. well, whatever! :)

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Lenny said...

Izzie, do you know where your nice-looking tongue comes from? Because it earned you an award in the Paw-Limpics today! Congratulations!!

I LOVE hunting around PetSmart for kibble - I'm glad to know there is somebody else who does it too! :)

Your friend, Lenny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter account login
Download a free hit counter here.